The members of the American Institute of Architects, Long Beach/South Bay (AIA LBSB), are pleased to provide this scholarship program to help support the education of future architects from the Long Beach and South Bay area!
Two one-time $1,000 scholarships are available: One for a 2020 graduating high school senior, and one for a current community college student, who will be attending a National Architectural Accrediting Board (NAAB) accredited architecture school in the fall of 2020. (Please check with NAAB to confirm that your architecture school is eligible.)
All applicants should submit the application and requirements no later than June 30, 2020, 11:59 pm. All scholarships will be awarded at the discretion of the Scholarship Committee of the AIA LBSB. (Once you create an account you may start the application. You may save it in draft form until you are ready to submit. NOTE: Click SAVE FORM often as there is no auto-save feature with this platform.)
1. Applicant must be graduating from a high school OR applicant must be a current student at a community college that is located within the AIA LBSB chapter area (view map).
2. Proof of an offer and acceptance to a NAAB accredited architecture school for the fall 2019 term.
3. One PDF upload not to exceed 8 MB in size that includes all of the following:
A one-page typed outline that lists your accomplishments and experiences. Suggested items to include are contact information, awards received, courses completed, work experience, travel, extracurricular activities, interests and/or volunteer experience.
- A "Why" Paragraph
In 100 words or less, explain why you want to become an architect.
- Letter of Recommendation
One letter of recommendation from an instructor or non-academic source, excluding family members.
- Examples of Work (Portfolio)
Include four (4) examples of personal artwork, drawings, graphics, photographs and/or architectural design projects. Applicants are encouraged to include diverse examples of their work; creativity in content and presentation is strongly encouraged. These examples should be in Landscape format (11" x 8.5") so that the committee members may view them in full on a computer or TV monitor.
NOTE: You must click 'submit' to finalize your application.
If you have any questions pertaining to this scholarship program, please do not hesitate to ask. Our committee members are here to help.
Questions pertaining to the content of your upload may be emailed to Scholarship Committee co-chair, Bob Murrin, FAIA, at firstname.lastname@example.org. Technical and formatting questions may be addressed to Kristine Hammond, AIA LBSB Executive Director, at email@example.com or by calling 562-989-1399.
Thank you for your interest and good luck!
Accepting photo submissions from March 16 - June 30.
A cash prize of $100 will be awarded to the entrant of each of the winning photos in the Exterior Category and the Interior Category as determined by the Jury. A cash prize of $100 will also be awarded to the entrant of the winning photo in the People's Choice Category.
Accepting photo submissions from March 16 - June 30. The winners will be notified after the close of the People's Choice voting in mid-July. The winning photos will be printed, mounted and displayed at C Gallery on Broadway.
CONDITION OF ENTRY
- Photos must be submitted under the Exterior Category or the Interior Category
- All photos submitted will automatically be considered for the People's Choice Award
- 5 MB max file size*
- Only photos of the built environment will be considered**
- Photographic interpretation will be judged by the Jury, not the architecture
- Photos must be taken and owned by the entrant
- Entrants grant reproduction rights and permissions to AIA Long Beach/South Bay to use any and all photos submitted for marketing and promotional purposes in relation to this and future Architectural Photography Competitions
- $15 per photo - AIA Members and Students
- $25 per photo - All Other Entrants
*Winners must provide a high-resolution copy acceptable for printing
**AIA LBSB Architectural Photography Committee reserves the right to eliminate photos from the contest deemed inappropriate or whose subject matter is not in the spirit of the Architectural Photography Competition. No refunds.